Wednesday, July 7, 2010

How My OCD Helps to Protect My House While on Vacation

Guest blog post from Beatris Allman

When it comes to going on a well deserved vacation, I refuse to spend any time worrying about whether my house is protected. Vacations are a time to get away and relax. It’s no time to spend worrying about whether my belongings will be there when I return. So, this is where my obsessive compulsiveness serves me well. I make sure to take the necessary precautions before I leave. Interested in knowing what I do?

First, I advise two neighbors of my absence. Why two neighbors? Well, if one of them is called away or has an emergency, I have a backup just in case. I also provide both with my phone number and advise them when I’ll return.

Second, I make sure my security alarm from www.allhomesecurity.com is set and in good working order before I leave. I also test the sensors on the windows and doors of the house to make sure everything is working as it should.

Third, I ask my neighbors to move my car every now and then. I ask this to be done so that it doesn’t stay in the same parking spot for too long.

Finally, I have timing sensors on the lights in the house to coincide with when I would return from work and go to bed. I also ask my neighbors to pick up my mail. I don’t advise my mail carrier that I’ll be away as I want everything to appear as if I am still at home.

When it comes to going away on vacation, don’t make the mistake of wondering if you’ve done enough to protect your house while you’re trying to relax. Become a little obsessive compulsive. Make sure to do everything before leaving. Make a list and check them off one by one. You’ll be glad you did.

No comments:

Post a Comment